World Heritage Site
The city was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1997.
It has a colonial architectural heritage valued at about 3,500 buildings spread over more than 250 acres of the historic center, and most of them sobradões with lookouts, many coated with precious Portuguese tiles.
Several buildings have been restored; the City Hall, for example, works in the Palace it Ravardière, construction 1689.
The restoration of houses started by the Great Beach in the early 80s, with the Commerce Square, Covered Market, Hostel and Alley of the Press. In 1987, after some years standing, the program is